- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 11-24-2014
A healthy liver does the following:
- It regulates the composition of blood, including the amounts of sugar (glucose), protein, and fat that enter the bloodstream.
- It removes bilirubin, ammonia, and other toxins from the blood. (Bilirubin is a by-product of the breakdown of hemoglobin from red blood cells.)
- It processes most of the nutrients absorbed by the intestines during digestion and converts those nutrients into forms that can be used by the body. The liver also stores some nutrients, such as vitamin A, iron, and other minerals.
- It produces cholesterol and certain important proteins, such as albumin.
- It produces clotting factors, chemicals needed to help blood clot.
- It breaks down (metabolizes) alcohol and many drugs.
Bottom line….It does a lot!
We need to do all we can to protect and improve the function of our liver for optimal health. Here is a simple plan to get it done. Good news, you won’t have to starve yourself, this is not a weight loss plan (although I did take off about 10 pounds and have kept it off). As with any change to your diet, please consult your physician if you have any questions about how this diet may affect your health.
Here it is: For 14 days you will.....
Three times per day, prior to your meal, you will drink:
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 oz. cranberry juice (try to find one with the least amount of carbs, we got ours at Whole Foods)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (Dr. Beth and I choose not to add this to the drink, but to instead drink it separately as it made it easier to drink the other ingredients)
- Mixed with 8 oz. of water.
What you can eat:
- As many apples as you like, others in moderation, but stay away from fruits like bananas.
- The general rule is to eat 3:1, vegetables to fruits.
- Fats are okay, help yourself. Coconut oil is great, we also use avocado oil (good for higher heat cooking) and of course olive oil. It is always handy to have some nuts around for snacks, almonds are the best.
- Stay away from animal protein, fish etc. You can have some cottage cheese and don’t worry about putting a little cream in your coffee.
What you will not do is DRINK ALCOHOL!!! We found this cleanse in a book called “Clean House: 147 Ways to Live Well in the Body God Gave You”. We bought it on Amazon, follow the link attached to the title of the book. And as always, please call the office if you have any question or just need a little guidance 978-374-1084.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.